Quarantine and Mental Health

This is our post that we wrote for @bereavedsingledad . We love working with him, and hope you enjoy our post on Quarantine and Mental Health. Have a lovely day!

Our current Quarantine Routine, looks a bit like this:

– Katie wakes up and makes us both a coffee and works out

– We read, write, blog or go on walks or bike rides.

– Evee works out

– We cook dinner together

– We have our own evenings where we chill out, talk to our friends, or watch Netflix. (Evee falls asleep significantly later than Katie (usually with the odd noise complaint thrown in!))

At the beginning of quarantine, there was a clear and obvious push for people to make the most of this time. People were learning how to make banana bread, teach themselves how to do handstands, and learn Spanish or Italian. We also had good intentions; to paint, write, eat completely cleanly and have a strict regimented workout plan.

When we couldn’t bring ourselves to be productive, we were filled with guilt at the thought of wasting this precious gift of timeIt was almost too easy for our minds to wonder back to the days of our own lockdown after Mum’s funeral and the depression that followed. During these days, counsellors encouraged us to mark small things as “wins”: showering, exercising, or eating healthily. But also, to the even smaller wins, like waking up in the morning, making the bed.

After our mum passed away, we were completely alone. As said beautifully in Gary’s post, there does come a point when people stop checking in and stop asking how you are. Apart from a few golden people, many individuals you thought were going to be with you until the end, become memories as well. It is a desolate place to find yourself in.

Thankfully, we have always had each other, and through trying to look after one another, we found ways to build ourselves back up.

Simple acts of self-love may appear futile or irrelevant when the future holds so much uncertainty, but we cannot imagine what our health and wellbeing would look like without them.

Lockdown has been a journey and has impacted our mental health, alongside thousands of others’. For us, it felt hauntingly similar to those grey days of 2018 that bore witness to some of the darkest moments of our lives. But through self-care, we learnt self-love.

Self-care grew to become an essential part of our healing and an ongoing exercise for our health and wellbeing. It is a wonderful thing to do that we strongly advocate, and promote heavily on our blog: Plant those little seeds of self-love into your body and mind.

As with any new exercise, it has been a difficult lesson to learn. But today when the world finds itself in so much chaos, we know to focus our attention on making ourselves feel happy and healthy. Eventually, our calm approach to life and clarity come back to us, and we ground ourselves once again.

One simple act of self-care is to sit in the bath, with a face mask, cuppa tea, bubbles and a coconut oil hair mask. It truly is amazing how much these luxuries make a huge difference to our wellbeing.

We have linked a post of little self-care tid-bits, everyone can do; it doesn’t have to eat up too much of your time. It can be as small as making yourself your favourite tea before bed.

Hold tight, eventually, the hustle and bustle of normality will resume, and when it does we hope you carry forward these acts of self-kindness. In doing so, we have no doubt you’ll be more than capable and prepared for it.

Katie & Evee x

22 thoughts on “Quarantine and Mental Health

1. Debananda Roy – Worked in different civil society organization , want to learn,share different kind of information that have value in our life. Exchange of information is welcome here. Together we can serve a large number of people... can be helping hands of each other towards development..
    Debananda Roy says:

Self care & empathy — are required otherwise we would remain alone in the society. Self care is desirable but n’t self centred attitude.

2. weedjee – Madrid, España , Spain – Persona con un monton de inquietudes amante de la musica, los libros y viajes y de las buenas conversaciones A man and lots of challengers , fan of goodie tunes, books and travels besides of braining gatherings ...!!! Mi CV Online
    weedjee says:

Quarantine could be a cyclist race, lots of stages where you’ve got downs, mountains and plain roads where you can be knowing yourself, it could nice and a challenge experience, enjoy petty moments and stay well

1. weedjee – Madrid, España , Spain – Persona con un monton de inquietudes amante de la musica, los libros y viajes y de las buenas conversaciones A man and lots of challengers , fan of goodie tunes, books and travels besides of braining gatherings ...!!! Mi CV Online
        weedjee says:

Take care and fine

3. A. Rinum – I was born in Pakistan, and I moved to the US when I was four years old. From the rural villages of Pakistan to the buildings of New York. Come take a glimpse into my life.
    A. Rinum says:

This was very inspiring! Hope that things will get better is the only thing keeping me in one piece!

4. Prakaash inspiration – B j medical, college, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India – "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading or do things worth the writing" - Benjamin Franklin. Hi, I am Dr Prakash, Researcher/Mentor/Doctor/Medical Teacher/Spiritual Guide/Professional writer/ Public health expert and Presently working at B.J. Medical college, civil hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India as a lecturer in Public health. (Ex. Assistant Professor, Government medical college, Surat.Ex.Insurance medical officer, Halol.Ex.Medical officer, PHC vadgam, Cambay. Dear friends, a warm welcome to my blogging site. My write up, article, case studies, thoughts of the day, Personel and Professional experience blends of Inspiration, Motivation, Education, self-help, philosophy, spirituality, Human Resource Management and Behaviour science with the insight of the eastern world of wisdom with latest updates from western science. You are invited to have a look at my various articles and post. Thanks and Make a Great Day Ahead. Dr Prakash ❤️
    Prakaash inspiration says:

Rightly said.We learnt many life lessons during lockdown.

5. Cheryl, Gulf Coast Poet – Gulf Coast of Florida – A retired teacher, I live with my significant other on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I enjoy the beach, walking outdoors, movies, and reading. Hanging Out with Wild Animals is a book series of photos and poems about my encounters with Florida animals. Wonders is a book of poems inspired by the men I have known and loved. Life in Inspiring Places is a book of photos and poems about the places rich in history and natural beauty that I have called home. Excerpts from the books and additional poems can be found on my website. Cheryl Batavia
    gulfcoastpoet@gmail.com says:

Great advice and very thoughtful and well-written. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe and happy! Cheryl

6. Ranjini Madhavan – India – Iam a homemaker who like to travel to spiritual places and like to share my spiritual tours , pictures and my personal tour experiences .Though am not expressive to put it in words thought it would be easy for others who likes to travel these places so that they may know what all places to be covered and a sweet memories for myself.
    Ranjini Madhavan says:

Wonderful post !

1. Ranjini Madhavan – India – Iam a homemaker who like to travel to spiritual places and like to share my spiritual tours , pictures and my personal tour experiences .Though am not expressive to put it in words thought it would be easy for others who likes to travel these places so that they may know what all places to be covered and a sweet memories for myself.
      Ranjini Madhavan says:

7. You so get life. It’s an absolute honour that you take the time to write on my blog. So hope we can do more going forward. x

8. usfman – South Florida – I accomplished a rewarding career as a teacher and professor for 28 years.No more daily lesson plans now frees my curious mind to experience life on my own terms now.
    usfman says:

The quarantine like you say has taught one to value quality time not just to stay busy like before. Who are we impressing now anyway?

9. This is beautiful and helpful, I follow bereavedsingledad and I’m touched by this post. You two are amazing

10. You’re right, after a while people… don’t disappear. I guess they just assume you’re all right. Well, my apologies for not visiting in a long time. I have seen you around in my blog, but always run out of time. No excuse, just an apology. I hope lockdown has not been too harsh on you. It will end. Stay safe.