A Morning Cup Of Coffee

The first sip of coffee holds within it a sense of expectation. It is tired, bleary eyed and grumpy, yet still expectant of the day ahead.

Within it stirs the thoughts of the day ahead, the sweetness of unknowing, but the bitterness of repetition.

At this time in my life, I know how my days will slowly weave themselves: I will wake up, get up, do my uni work, workout, talk to my friends, go to sleep.

The repetition of this time is mind numbing, but I sip my expectation and think of my favourite type of day. The days which are surprise. The ones that make you feel alive and free: like when I woke up at 7 and took my camera to hunt in the frost. Or when I spent the day looking for crystals and eating sushi during my uni’s strike. Or the evenings where my friend and I would sing our favourite songs together when we danced home from the gym. We must have looked like the definition of insanity, but we were bouyant with laughter.

These are the days I cherish. I have had many days like these during this quarantine, which I hold close to my heart. Most recently was the day Katie and I dedicated to tie dying. Our creativity ran wild, and we laughed loudly. We talked for hours, and put our heads together simply to ponder colour.

Another time I took my camera and wandered for hours in new woods, by new coasts.

There is peace in this repetition, in this safety net we call our homes.

By the time I finish my coffee, I have forgotten that I wanted to add more honey. I think it was perfect the way it was.

Evee x

27 thoughts on “A Morning Cup Of Coffee

1. carol hopkins – Canada – I am Canadian. I love this beautiful country and hope to discover more of it.. I enjoy writing, photography, and walks on nature trails and beaches. I am passionate about human rights and my favourite stories to read are uplifting and inspirational stories. I believe in the innate nobility of the human spirit and I endeavor to be positive. I have learned many lessons over the years, but most importantly I have witnessed the inherent goodness of peoples near and far. I hope my writing reflects that. All photographs used in my blog are mine, unless otherwise stated. Contact: camhopkins97@gmail.com
    carol hopkins says:

There is indeed a sameness about the days. Looking for surprises, appreciating all the little things helps a lot. As does remembering and rejoicing again at days gone by. this is a lovely post. Stay well.

carol hopkins says:

Truth!

carol hopkins says:

Doing my absolute best! 🙂 and you are most welcome.

2. May all your days be favorite days. As far as I can tell I only get to live this life one time, at least as far as I will know. I’m always looking for more ways to embrace where I am and what I have. Thanks for this post.

3. sherrysescape – I am a pediatrician and an introvert. I love nature and thinking about human nature and what makes us tick. I am also a voracious reader and I knit to calm my mind. I am in my late 50s. The picture on my profile is a picture of me in 4th grade.
    sherrysescape says:

Such a nice start to my day.

4. AnuRijo – I’m an aeronautical engineer by profession, artist and blogger by passion..So, you can find me anywhere between inspiring others, working on myself and nourishing my goals.. Be with me and discover more about me...😊
    AnuRijo says:

good one

1. AnuRijo – I’m an aeronautical engineer by profession, artist and blogger by passion..So, you can find me anywhere between inspiring others, working on myself and nourishing my goals.. Be with me and discover more about me...😊
        AnuRijo says:

You’re welcome

5. Bizarre thought I had commented. It’s an age thing. We have created like our own little safe world. Outside seems such an alien place. It’s going to feel so weird rebuilding those bridges again. Probably have a few more coffees first. x

6. tanaka_tkzy – A Zimbabwean Medical Student who has a passion to impact the world especially teenage scholars and young adults through writing articles on issues bothering young people, humanitarian issues and poetry. My writing is diversified and my opinions are expressed in my own way which I hope my readers will find interesting.
    tanaka_tkzy says:

Nice piece of art over there ey!

7. seekingdivineperspective – United States – I am a forgiven sinner and adopted child of God, seeking to see life from His perspective - as opposed to the world's flawed perspective - and living my life accordingly.
    seekingdivineperspective says:

It’s amazing how different two days can turn out with roughly the same beginning – possibly depending on our expectations? I love those little bursts of joy that show up at unexpected moments, and we laugh with sheer pleasure.

8. Lisa – PA – Mom, wife, retired physician assistant and multi award winning home cook including Food Network CHOPPED CHAMPION
    Lisa says: