Sleep Well, Sweet Girl

Today I write with a heavy heart. I wasn’t going to share, but this is a grief blog after all..

Mum always told me what to look for in blood results and I knew what questions to ask when the vet confirmed that Daisy’s liver enzymes were elevated. All signs pointing to cancer of the liver. Thankfully I took her in early enough that there wasn’t any time for the painful symptoms to develop – the only visual sign was drastic weight loss in the space of 3 days.

I ended up all the way in Surrey after she was put down (it’s a long story that I am too tired to write about – but what a day). The same feeling of bewilderment that I have only ever experienced after losing my mum and my grandma was made a little easier by the help and kindness of a few strangers.

So thankful to the vet for her gentleness towards Daisy and her kindness towards me, the waitress who asked if I was okay and lit the fire for me to keep warm, and of course, my flatmate who didn’t leave Daisy’s side yesterday and cooked her favourite food on her last day. There are really good people out there.

I’m not sure why cancer has taken someone else I love so dearly. But, if life has taught me anything, it’s resilience, and this too is something I’ll spring back from, in a little while.

Hug your pets a little closer tonight.

The vet nurse called Daisy a naughty torty (tortoiseshell), and I quite liked that. A naughty torty who was sassy and classy until the end.

Sleep well, sweet girl.

Katie

24 thoughts on “Sleep Well, Sweet Girl

1. Katie, I’m so sorry about Daisy. It’s devastating when the time comes for a beloved pet to leave us. Just remember that you have prevented her from facing a lot of suffering. Sending love and hugs. x

2. V.J. Knutson – Ontario, Canada – Permission to write, paint, and imagine are the gifts I gave myself when chronic illness hit - a fair exchange: being for doing. Relevance is an attitude. Humour essential.
    V.J. Knutson says:

Hugs.

3. Dan Santos’ Take – My name is Dan Santos and I like to tell stories. I’ve traveled to many places and seen incredible things, beautiful people, unbelievable goodness and despicable evil in all their manifestations. These places, people and things might go unnoticed unless someone tells others about them. That’s what I do, hoping to transport readers from their everyday reality to a different world. My writing reflects years of serving my country and my family as a soldier, diplomat, son, husband, father and human companion. All these I’ve done with great intensity because I believe there is no other way to live life.
    Dan Santos’ Take says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. They stay forever in our hearts until we mee again at the Rainbow Bridge.

4. M T McGuire – Great Britain – Humorous fantasy fiction author... the books are quite funny too. MTMcGuireAuthor on Twitter if you tweet. Website here www.hamgee.co.uk blog here www.mtmcguire.co.uk
    M T McGuire says:

I’m so sorry. It’s horrid losing a pet. Sending hugs and thinking of you.

Cheers

MTM

5. I see Daisy’s sass and class, and I’m so sorry for your loss. May your happy memories comfort you.

6. palmtreesandloyalties – I figured it's important that I explain why I chose the Palm tree instead of the Pine tree. Both are beautiful and similar in one way. They both bend with the storms that pass, but still stand. This blog is just that. "Its me, still standing!" I now a make a pledge to very often find things to write about and always put an interesting spin on how I write about them. Hint hint...there will always be humour attached. This blog will be for those who like to read and see the fun and adventure in life. Not keen on talking about it. So I will write about it! Let's go!
    palmtreesandloyalties says:

I’m Sorry to hear about Daisy.

7. I’m so sorry! She was beautiful. Thanks for continuing to share your story.

8. (Kitty) Cat Strawberry - Meow! – Here to Entertain, Educate and Inspire! I'm a mixed bag of fun, silly and serious topics, and so is my blog! With a love of books, videogames, animals, art and of course Strawberries there's always something on my mind I just love to discuss.
    (Kitty) Cat Strawberry - Meow! says:

I’m so sorry about Daisy. Take all the time you need. She’s such a beautiful cat <3

9. Daisy, Daisy
    give me your answer do
    I’m half crazy
    All for the love of you

10. lorisprayercloset – Lodi, California – I love writing about what God is doing in my life through my personal reflections and stories. All of life is a miracle if we only have the spiritual eyes and ears to see. I share a home with my best friend and traveling companion. We're two single ladies doing life together, sharing space with one perfectly well behaved cat. My spare time is spend writing and fooling around with my camera and whenever possible, hanging out in bookstores with a mug of coffee. I believe one of the most important ways to have a successful life is to always find humor in any situation. I have recently semi-retired and am living back in my hometown of Lodi, California after a 25 year sojourn in the beautiful and mysterious desert of Arizona.
    lorisprayercloset says:

Oh I love this. Sleep well sweet baby! She’s waiting for you in Heaven!

11. JOY journal – A long-time journalist, Nora Edinger also blogs and writes books. Her Christian chick lit and faith-related non-fiction are available on Amazon. She lives in Appalachia, where she is part of a three-generation, three-species household.
    JOY journal says:

She was sure a happy cat! Blessings, you two! And, lots of kitty cat joy when you’re ready again. 🙂

12. DutchIl – Retired, over the hill and gathering speed....no significant other.... Independent, a free spirit in thinking... born again heathen complete with long hair and earrings :) ...not into religious, political or social ideologies... not above sailing against the wind.... exploring life while hanging around to see how it all ends... From the poem Journey of Self Discovery.; I my setting on a journey of my own, The mistakes I make shall be mine, The regrets shall be my defined, Its fall or rise, Time will play a key role, As Frost said, I have an option of two paths ahead of me, One pre decided by my ancestors, less risky and challenging, Other of my own, I decide to take the less travelled one, To mark on journey of my own. (Illahi Bedi) Veteran, SGT, USMC (Vietnam, in country 1965-66, 12th Marine Regiment). COOP/SWOP Observer (since 2001 to present), NWS, ILX, NOAA, Dept of Commerce, USA. Met Weather Office, United Kingdom. Ebird (Cornell Lab of Orinthology/Audubon society). Member; (since 2005 to present) BOINC Project (University of Berkeley, Calif.); Princess Margaret Cancer Center/World Community Grid (Mapping Cancer), Setihome (astrophysics/astrobiology University of Berkeley, Calif.). “Everyday on the path least traveled brings change, that change presents a challenge, mentally and physically, as to how to accept it and deal with it, generates an excitement about living a second of time and looking forward to what the next second of time brings, looking forward to life and enjoying it.” Larry “Dutch” Woller 6/9/2016 “If there is any kindness I can show, or any good I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again” William Penn.
    DutchIl says:

Thank you for sharing!.. while Daisy may no longer be present physically, she no doubt has a special place in your heart and she will be with you always!..
    Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there, I do not sleep
    I am a thousand winds that blow
    I am the diamonds glints in the snow
    I am the sunlight on ripened grain
    I am the gentle autumn rain
    When you awaking in the morning hush
    I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight
    I am the soft star that shines at night
    Do not stand by my grave and cry
    I am not there, I did not die
    (Mary Frye)

13. pensitivity101 – I am a retired number cruncher with a vivid imagination and wacky sense of humour which extends to short stories and poetry. I love to cook and am a bit of a dog whisperer as I get on better with them than people sometimes! We have an elderly dog called Maggie who adopted us as a 7 week old pup in March 2005. From 2014 to 2017 'Home' was a 41 foot narrow boat where we made strong friendships both on and off the water. We were close to nature enjoying swan and duck families for neighbours, and it was a fascinating chapter in our lives. We now reside in a small bungalow on the Lincolnshire coast where we have forged new friendships and interests.
    pensitivity101 says:

I am so sorry, remembering how it was when we lost Maggie’s predecessor Barney. Totally unexpected and we weren’t ready. Pets leave a hole, but never leave your heart. Maggie is 15 now, in pretty good health and slowing down.